1.20.2010

Marriage Prep

So Jordan and I enjoyed our first marriage counseling session last night. I don't know if this is weird, but I'm actually really really excited to be counseled before we take this gigantically huge step into the rest of our lives. So not knowing what to really expect of marriage counseling, we go last night to meet with Kurt-our marriage counselor. After discussing life and our future marriage plans-Kurt says, "Well, I bet you guys didn't know this...but you are going to be taking a test today." So I've heard about my friends who have gotten married that have taken these tests-and I was actually hoping we would get to take one-but I didn't know I had to take this thing on our first day, right?

So after Kurt assures us that this test has no right or wrong answers and that it is just to show our strengths and our "areas of growth". Notice he didn't say weakness, he said-"areas of growth". He makes it sound so nice doesn't he?

So we get this test booklet and scantron. This is official-we get scantrons and #2 pencils. I open up this book...and it's 165 questions! I'm thinking, wow they should really have us all figured out by the time we're done. So we take this hugely long test and we finish it, turn it in. Phew! We survived.

But then I start thinking. And if you know me, you know that I'm an over-thinker. Of just about everything. So I'm like, "should I have answered that 'strongly agree' or just 'agree'? Because if I just say 'agree' does that imply that I'm too nonchalant about it? But then if I would have said 'strongly' doesn't that mean I'm overly opinionated?" Yep, this is what I think about after I take a test. Not for a grade, but to assess my relationship with Jordan. So what if I suck at my relationship with Jordan? Is it going to tell me? hahaha, I'm just kidding :) I was joking with Kurt asking, "So when we are done, is it going to give us a percentage of how compatible we are? Will you just have to tell us if it recommends we don't even proceed with the counseling?" :)

So maybe I'm a little paranoid to see where all my areas of weakness-ahem-"areas for growth" are. But I'm actually so incredibly excited to assess our relationship. It is going to be such a good insight on our current relationship and what areas we need to work on for our marriage. What a great opportunity marriage counseling is. To be able to hear wisdom from a pastor who will pray with you and over your future marriage, get insight to marriage itself, and truly be able to learn so much more about each other and grow in our relationship is just so awesome!

Makes me even more excited for the wedding! For those of you interested: only 226 more days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment